[labnetwork] Toxic Gases tubing

Leif Steen Johansen lesjo at dtu.dk
Mon Sep 14 16:12:55 EDT 2020

Hello Kamal,

Like University of Michigan we also run all toxic and pyrophoric gases in coaxial pipes. The inner pipe is made of electro polished 316L stainless steel with a surface roughness of 0.25μm. All welding is orbital welding performed by certified welders using certified equipment. We allow our welders to bend the tubes with a dedicated tool. Some sites don’t allow this, since this theoretically could cause a larger surface roughness in the bends. Such sites buy pre-made bends that are welded onto the straight pipes.

The outer pipe of the coax line is monitored for gas leaks. We have two systems: One system constantly pumps on the outer pipe and monitors the pumped air for toxics. In the other type of system the outer pipe is pumped to vacuum, sealed off, and then monitored by a vacuum gauge. A coax monitor alarm (sensed gas or loss of vacuum in outer pipe) automatically shuts down the gas line, evacuates the building and calls the fire brigade.

All connections are of the VCR type and are placed inside a vented and gas monitored enclosure.

We have all the four gases you mention, and all of them are nasty in their own way, so please take good care of yourself.

Best regards,
Leif

[http://www.dtu.dk/-/media/DTU_Generelt/Andet/mail-signature-logo.png]

Leif Steen Johansen