[labnetwork] Static IP Addresses needed for hardware interlocks

Aebersold,Julia W. julia.aebersold at louisville.edu
Wed Apr 7 21:01:10 EDT 2021

I wish it were that easy Michael.

Cheers!

Julia Aebersold, Ph.D.

Manager, Micro/Nano Technology Center

University of Louisville

2210 South Brook Street

Shumaker Research Building, Room 233

Louisville, KY  40292

(502) 852-1572

http://louisville.edu/micronano/<http://louisville.edu/micronano>

________________________________
From: Yakimov, Michael <myakimov at sunypoly.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, April 7, 2021 6:04 PM
To: Aebersold,Julia W. <julia.aebersold at louisville.edu>; labnetwork at mtl.mit.edu <labnetwork at mtl.mit.edu>
Subject: RE: Static IP Addresses needed for hardware interlocks

CAUTION: This email originated from outside of our organization. Do not click links, open attachments, or respond unless you recognize the sender's email address and know the contents are safe.

As far as I understand, you have equipment enable/disable boxes, which need to be accessible by a server, not by outside world.

I would consider getting hardware interfaces into a separate network  with addresses from private pool so nothing but main server is exposed to the internet,  and security considerations are not in play. You really need to talk to your institution IT people about that. Write down all the communications required  for those hardware  boxes, hopefully they can figure it  out for you.

After all, your local IT is there to support you, not the other way around!