[labnetwork] Liquid nitrogen and argon shortage

Manish Keswani manish.keswani01 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 6 15:17:36 EST 2021

Thank you all for your responses and offering great ideas. One of our major nitrogen suppliers indicated on Friday that they will not be able to supply nitrogen at the same capacity as before (delivery being prioritize for hospitals and health services) for the next two months.

We will be looking into the following items in the next couple of days to reduce consumption of nitrogen or supplement it through other sources.

1. Determine N2. consumption  for various tools and pumps. If you have this information for your facility, please share as we can use it as a starting point for our facility.

2.  Make specific tools (that have high N2 consumption) available on certain days in the week for the users and  shut them down on other days.

3. Switch to CDA for pump purging, load locks, chamber venting, wet benches, etc wherever possible. Factors be be considered are dew point of CDA, gases used in the tool (flammable, corrosive etc)

4. Install N2 saving kit. Please provide additional information if you already have this installed in your facility.

5. Identify leaks

6. Near term or long term: Look into N2 generators (rental and/or purchase)

Thank you all,
Manish

Sent from my iPhone