[labnetwork] Metered chemical dispensing?

Albert William (Bill) Flounders bill_flounders at berkeley.edu
Tue Dec 21 16:55:40 EST 2021

 Aaron,
We have implemented consumption monitoring and billing on several tools..
They are not simple - but they are increasingly necessary.
Efforts from both equipment engineering team and computer team required.
We have only implemented for most expensive items
e.g., DUV resist (>$4K/gallon), germane (>$13K/cylinder), and Pt ALD
precursor.

For gases - mfc is tied to monitoring system.
Voltage to mfc is related to flow setting, time that voltage is >0 defines
how long to integrate.
For ALD - pulse counter added to ALD pulsing valve; charge per pulse
defined on estimated delivery volume.
For photoresist dispense, pulse counter added to resist flow control valve;
volume of resist dispensed per actuation
is estimated and charge per pulse defined.

Integrating these with the Laboratory Management System (LMS) was non
trivial.
Linkage of the monitoring system to the LMS is what enables the tracked
consumption to be
associated with the researcher who had the tool enabled for that run - and
provides automated billing.

Equipment and Facilities Manager may discuss with you offline.
He presented summary of system at UGIM 2014 or 2016.

Bill Flounders
UC Berkeley