[labnetwork] Liquid Nitrogen Vacuum Jacketed Line Maintenance Question

Dennis Schweiger schweig at umich.edu
Wed Feb 17 07:42:54 EST 2021

Rich,

good morning.  Here at the University of Michigan/LNF, we have about
250-300' of assorted LN2 piping systems delivering LN2 at 50PSI to various
phase separators that are serving MBE tools, and gravity fill stations.
All of our piping, except for about 75', is actively pumped through the
vacuum pumps that support each of the five LN2 phase separators.
Typically, when we have an issue with the piping (frosting over on the
atmosphere jacket) it's because one of the users violated the vacuum
integrity of the jacket at their tool connection.  In those instances,
we'll isolate the section of the system and allow it to warm up while under
vacuum.  That usually fixes the issue.  On occasion, we have had to shut
down the entire delivery system and allow it to warm up to fix the thermal
violation.  We have not noticed any issues with the static vacuum lines,
and they've been installed since 1987.

I will say that our delivery system is designed so that by manipulating
vacuum valves, we can "select" which vacuum pump is "pulling" on the
annular space of the vacuum jacket.  It wasn't always like this.  We made
some changes once we had more than two MBE tools (PI's) on the delivery
system.

If you have any additional questions, just give me a call.

Dennis schweiger
University of Michigan/LNF
Facilities Manager

734.647.2055 Ofc