[labnetwork] Magnesium deposition

Alexey Kovalev kovalev at magnet.fsu.edu
Tue Jun 22 13:27:20 EDT 2021

Hello All,
I would like advice on the Magnesium e-beam deposition. We are considering doing it in our shared use chamber, which is vented to the atmosphere to load/unload samples. We also switch liners and do not keep materials in the chamber.

I worry that we will have two issues:

1) Spontaneous combustion of pellets in the liner. Spontaneous combustion of Mg film on chamber walls.

2) When we deposit the next material, the sample holder and chamber will heat (up to 350-400K, maybe), leading to Mg contamination. We have a shutter that blocks the source and a heated area around it.

We are not depositing super clean films in that chamber, but on the other hand, I don't want to make it badly contaminated.
Any comments will be greatly appreciated.
Alexey

--
Alexey Kovalev
Assistant in Research