[labnetwork] LLZO sputtering

Lingley, Andrew andrew.lingley at montana.edu
Wed Jun 30 14:04:50 EDT 2021

Hello,
Does anyone have experience sputtering LLZO, lithium lanthanum zirconium oxide? We have a 3 target Angstrom Engineering sputter tool, and their general recommendations are to either a) avoid it, or b) cover everything with aluminum foil and then deposit a ton of aluminum after the LLZO target is out of the tool. The SDS indicates that the target is air and water sensitive, and that we need to take respiratory and handling precautions.
Does anyone have any recommendations on loading and unloading the target? Any ideas on additional cleaning protocols? Contamination issues? Does anyone allow this?
Advice appreciated, and thanks in advance,
Andy