[labnetwork] VESDA Testing in Cleanrooms

Matthew Moneck mmoneck at andrew.cmu.edu
Mon Mar 8 17:15:33 EST 2021

Hi All,

I was hoping this community might be able to provide some insights on testing of VESDA systems in cleanrooms.  In particular, I am interested in how those of you with VESDA units handle the "smoke" test.  It is my understanding that "smoke" testing typically involves the spraying of an aerosol containing hydrocarbons, such as propane, butane, ethanol, etc. at the end of the detector piping or through a test port.  If your test ports are located within the confines of the clean space, how do you handle this aspect of the testing?  Do you allow the use of these hydrocarbon based materials, or is there an acceptable alternative?

In our particular case, the VESDA units are mounted at the intake to our recirculating air handlers, so there is concern that any overspray not pulled into the VESDA piping would end up going into the recirc unit.  Given the limited frequency of the testing, the limited quantity of spray required, and the amount of air flow in the lab, perhaps we are overthinking this and dilution is the solution.  Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Best Regards,

Matt

--
Matthew T. Moneck, Ph.D
Executive Manager, Claire & John Bertucci Nanotechnology Laboratory