[labnetwork] MIDAS gas sensor replacement shortage

Ryan R Anderson rrand at ucdavis.edu
Fri May 21 17:44:19 EDT 2021

Hi everyone,

I am encountering extremely long lead times for replacement sensor cartridges used in Honeywell MIDAS gas detectors.  The longest lead time is for the chlorine sensor cartridges.  I ordered the chlorine sensor cartridges in March and the expected ship date is not till July.  The delay is apparently pandemic related.

Due to the long delay, the calibration of our current sensors has expired and our TGMS has shut down those gas lines.  This is seriously affecting our users so I wanted to let everyone know about this in case this situation might happen to you as well.  It is possible to reset the date and time on the internal clocks on the sensors to buy more time, but it is something I would like to avoid doing since the sensor calibration is expired and it's not certain how the sensor will function.  Of course, Honeywell recommends not to do this.

I need six chlorine sensors (part number MIDAS-E-HAL MIDAS HAL (CL2 F2)SENSOR CART E/W) and eight HBr/BCl3 sensors (MIDAS-E-HCL MIDAS HCL-BCL3 H2CL2SI HBR HCL CART E/W)  to clear the remote shutdowns.  I have already asked around to some other facilities but have had no luck.  If anyone has any unexpired spares that they can part with (I realize that, given the current situation, it is not likely) I would be happy to send you mine once they arrive.

Thanks in advance!

Ryan Anderson

Manager, Center for Nano-MicroManufacturing

1209 Kemper Hall
University of California at Davis
One Shields Avenue
Davis, CA 95616