[labnetwork] Direct write + plasma etch residue

Fouad Karouta f.karouta at gmail.com
Sat Apr 30 03:00:07 EDT 2022

Hi Dave,

A couple of remarks:
1- A Cl2-based chemistry react with resist materials and form a kind of a
compound that is very hard to remove in classic ways, even an O2-ashing may
not be helpful. I usually avoid using resist mask to etch III-V materials
and instead I use a hard mask like SiNx or SiOx (PECVD deposited) as a
mask, pattern it with a resist mask in a F-based chemistry), strip the
resist before going to the Cl2-based ICP RIE etch. After the etch the
remaining hard mask can be removed in BHF or a diluted HF
2- what is the wafer temperature during etch? In does require T>150C to get
the etching product InCl3 volatile. Not doing so will result in
micro-masking (check a paper I published in 2014).

Happy to discuss further details (offline) if you wish.

Fouad Karouta