[labnetwork] Regarding : Aluminium E-Beam Evaporation

Carlos Gramajo cg70 at rice.edu
Mon Aug 29 10:25:58 EDT 2022

Chandan,

I have discussed these procedures with my colleagues here at Rice. We do
not have much problems with e-beam evaporation of Al.

What we have concluded is that you might need to sweep your beam and ramp
down much slower. We are using the glassy coated graphite and it is about
the same volume. You might have to increase power a little bit due to the
sweeping, but this will give a more uniform heat distribution on your
source material.

I hope this helps,

Carlos

On Mon, Aug 29, 2022 at 7:12 AM Chandan H B <chandanachar95 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Dear Lab network community,
>
> We are currently facing an issue in the deposition of Aluminium in one of
> our Electron beam evaporation tools, we tried intermetallic, fab mate,
> copper, glassy coated graphite, and graphite crucibles for the evaporation.
> It seems that none of them are working out.
> We see crucible gets broken at the initial deposition quite often.
>
> Are we missing out on any parameters unchecked?
> Kindly recommend us a few parameters or solutions for the same.
>
> Any suggestions/Inputs are highly appreciated.
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Regards,
> CHANDAN H B
> THIN FILM ENGINEER
>
> P.S: Here are a few parameters that are provided to the tool.
> Power: 10KW
> Voltage: 10KV constant
> Current: Variable
> Rise1 & Soak1: 5min & 1min /8min & 2min
> Rise1 Power: 4% (for intermetallic crucible)
> Rise2 & Soak2: 5min & 1min /8min & 2min
> Rise2 Power: 8% (for intermetallic crucible)
> Ramp down: 5min
> Rate of deposition: 0.1nm/sec
> Beam Pattern: Spot Beam at the center of the crucible
> Crucible Volume: 20cc
> Material fill %: As recommended 67-75%

Carlos Gramajo
Cleanroom Research Scientist
Shared Equipment Authority (SEA), Rice University
Cell: 713-743-8115; Office: 713-348-8243; cg70 at rice.edu