[labnetwork] HEPA/ULPA Filter Experience?

Paolini, Steven spaolini at cns.fas.harvard.edu
Wed Feb 16 16:35:57 EST 2022

Depending on your air handler design, you may be able to track HEPA life by monitoring amperage draw from the VFD's if you have it set at a closed loop ACPH setup. All acronyms aside, if you require something like 200 air changes per hour, you could baseline the air handler fan current and check it periodically.
Some older clean rooms simply use the fan speed determined at the design phase, and let the HEPA's do their thing. This simple setup is easy to baseline and monitor as well. Our facility has a closed loop Variable frequency drive system coupled with particle counters in every chase to allow the room's particle count to dictate how much air is pushed through the filters. Our system would be difficult to monitor if we didn't have speed vs. amperage data since the speeds are constantly changing depending on the activity in the clean room.
Makeup air amounts are not part of this equation since the makeup air is mixed with the circulated air and gets filtered with it. The amperage draw will tell if the filters are starting to load up. Most fabs have a HEPA life of decades is the pre-filters are changed often and the system is sealed as Deon Collins has mentioned.
Equipment Dood

Steve Paolini
Principal Equipment Engineer
Harvard University Center for Nanoscale Systems
11 Oxford St.
Cambridge, MA 02138
617- 496- 9816
spaolini at cns.fas.harvard.edu