[labnetwork] Metered chemical dispensing?

Aaron Hryciw ahryciw at ualberta.ca
Tue Jan 4 12:09:49 EST 2022

Hello all,

Happy New Year, and many thanks for everyone's comments and suggestions.

To summarise, there were largely three classes of suggestions to deal with
this issue (tracking chemical use, and encouraging chemical conservation,
for cleanroom users).  In escalating order of effort to implement:

   1. *Policy-based approaches:*  Tighten up SOPs to include permissible
   chemical volumes, identify users who are using unnecessarily large amounts
   of chemicals, and re-educate/warn/discipline/charge them if the
   behaviour continues.  Update SOPs/policies as new legitimate cases emerge.
   2. *Manual logging of chemical use:  *Have users track their chemical
   consumption by logging the volume or weight of chemical used per tool
   session, whether in a physical logbook or via electronic means (e.g.,
   incorporated into lab management software).  This would both capture the
   actual chemical usage, allowing it to be charged back to the user, if
   desired, as well as encourage users to limit their chemical consumption,
   since knowing that they are being tracked should make them conscious of
   their own wastage.
   3. *Automated chemical metering:*  Integrate some method of estimating
   actual chemical use (e.g., MFC voltage for gas flow, pulse counters for ALD
   precursors or liquid flow control valves) with one's lab management
   software, such that the entire process is automated.  Significant effort is
   likely required from both equipment engineering and software/computer
   engineering teams.

Thank-you again for the discussion and your experiences.

Cheers,

 – Aaron

Aaron Hryciw, PhD, PEng

Fabrication Group Manager