[labnetwork] Inquiry about any disposable glove recycling programs currently implemented by any labs

Tatiana Pinedo Rivera tatiana.pinedo at monash.edu
Sun Jan 16 19:04:46 EST 2022

Dear Rachel,

Sorry I do not have an answer for you. But we at the Melbourne Centre for
Nanofabrication, one of the Australian National
Fabrication Facility centres are extremely interested in setting up a
similar program. We have a quite active Green Impact Team and we have been
trying to make our cleanroom slightly less wasteful (for instance, we are
encouraging reuse of epaks and wafer/sample carriers where possible (they
were previously all going to the bin after one use), we are also collecting
Silicon waste for the first time (previously it was all going to the
landfill)).

We recently started to collect our lab (packaging) soft plastic waste but
the University we are affiliated to (Monash University) can only collect
soft-plastic (LDPE) of very high quality, uncontaminated, not-dyed (only
transparent), it should be slightly stretchable before it rips and should
not make a crinkly noise when scrunched, no tape, no labels...

For our "domestic" soft-plastic collection, which we also started
collecting in the kitchen area, rules are much more flexible and thankfully
we in Australia have the RedCycle program which collects all sorts of soft
plastics from plastic bags to candy and chips wrappers. I wonder whether
they might be able to help.

Ideally we would like to start collecting our disposable cleanroom
overshoes which are made out of a crinkly blue plastic and gloves, similar
to you, we produce large amounts of this type of waste.

Of course things are a bit different here in Australia, but if you have
received responses regarding this topic, could you please let me know?
If you have implemented other things in the cleanroom to make your
workplace a bit more sustainable, would you mind sharing some ideas? I have
been thinking for a while that we should join a group of cleanroom (or
other manufacturing) facilities who have all embraced (or are trying to) a
sustainable approach, if such a group exists, if it doesn't we should start
one!

Thanks in advance,

Tatiana

*Tatiana Pinedo Rivera*, PhD
Nanolithography and Characterisation Team Leader
Senior Process Engineer

Melbourne Centre for Nanofabrication
ANFF Victoria
151 Wellington Road, Clayton VIC 3168 Australia

P: +61 (0)3 9905 9660
E: tatiana.pinedo at nanomelbourne.com
W: http://nanomelbourne.com