[labnetwork] 100kV EBL sustainability questions

Joseph Losby joseph.losby at ucalgary.ca
Fri Jul 29 11:50:30 EDT 2022

Hi Everyone,

We have funding for a 50kV EBL system but are seeking additional funding for an upgrade to a 100kV system.

At the forefront of our thoughts is the issue of tool sustainability.  The service contracts are approximately $115k USD, and there are additional costs for labor (EBL scientist), software licenses, utilities, and whatever could go wrong that's not covered under tool warranty.

What are your experiences with running a 100kV system in your facility?  Do revenues cover the service contracts? How long did it take to get utilization up to your current levels?  Do you have advice on how we can minimize headaches for the future?  What issues have you run into?

I appreciate in advance your thoughts about these questions or anything else regarding the tool.  I was recently introduced to this mailing list and find it to be a valuable resource.

Cheers,
Joe

Joseph Losby, PhD.
Institute for Quantum Science and Technology
University of Calgary