[labnetwork] Bismuth evaporation

Timothy J Gilheart gilheart at rice.edu
Sat Jun 25 00:26:04 EDT 2022

Hi Aimee,

I fielded a similar request some years ago from a student user who only wanted to deposit relatively thin (~ few nm) layers of Bi as a seed layer for some 2-D materials synthesis experiments.

During my review at the time, I reached a similar conclusion about potential cross-contamination, but I was also on the verge of a shield change in my open chamber (less restricted materials) evaporator, so I gave it some additional consideration, thinking I could swap the shields out soon after if it looked like the Bi caused a problem.

I also wondered about toxicity, due to some notes about the safety concerns for Bi vapors I found in old thin film deposition guides.

As I dug into it further, I settled on the following additional conclusions:

- Bi is the “heavy metal” least likely to cause heavy metal poisoning issues, and is most dangerous when dealing with its vapors. The evaporator in question is cryopumped, so I confirmed with my cryopump service provider that Bi was not a problem for them, and knew that I’d want to snorkel exhaust the cyropump during subsequent regeneration cycles.

- Bi alloys pretty readily with Ti (see attached phase diagram), and the melting point increases quite nicely with increasing Ti fraction, so I thought a good abatement layer of Ti (50-100 nm) deposited on the chamber immediately after (and before venting, with substrate shutter closed to protect the student samples) would help mitigate any cross-contamination issues quite a bit.

In the end, I let the student try it, and no related issues presented in the aftermath. For a thicker layer of Bi or maybe a different vacuum system configuration, I might have declined the request, but a few nm of Bi and a lot of Ti abatement worked out okay. We weren’t doing much compound semiconductor work on that machine at the time, so your mileage with a similar approach could vary.

Also: when that same student's teammate came by a few weeks later wanting to evaporate bismuth telluride on the same machine, I gave them a firm “no” because Te toxicity didn’t seem like my idea of fun.

Hope this helps in your decision process,

--
Tim Gilheart, Ph.D.
Research Scientist - Nanofabrication Cleanroom Manager,
Cell: 832-341-5488 | Office: 713-348-3159 | gilheart at rice.edu