[labnetwork] Direct write + plasma etch residue

Hollingshead, Dave hollingshead.19 at osu.edu
Mon May 2 10:04:42 EDT 2022

Hi Joon,

Thank you for the feedback and thank you to everyone else that has responded. I responded to many of you directly, but this topic has come up a few times so I wanted to address it with the whole group.

We historically have not noticed this phenomenon on the contact aligner, although we have not run that SPR220 process with an etch in a few years. That is another experiment we are planning but have not done so yet.

We will have some SEMs of these particular sidewalls this week, but we do have SEM x-sections of other recent samples and I can confirm that the side walls are directionally angled usually with a slope differential of ~5°. We have worked with Heidelberg a lot on this issue and have it mostly solved, but it is still somewhat visible on thicker resists. The problem was actually much, much worse with negative resists (nLOF2020 or nLOF2070) where the slope variation was so extreme that one side of the pattern would be undercut, while the other positive. Attached is an example of the "poor" profile prior to the fix, along with the more recent "improved" profile.

Heidelberg was able to fix the alignment well enough that we were happy with our negative resist profiles but we have not been able to get it perfectly orthogonal. So we know that the light is slightly angled coming in, but I am still unsure why this would lead to the etch issues that we are seeing.

Thanks,
-Dave