[labnetwork] HF storage

Michael Yakimov yakimom at sunypoly.edu
Wed Feb 15 12:14:56 EST 2023

I wonder if your bottles come from the same supplier, look the same, and have chemical name buried into huge DANGER, HAZARD, WARNING symbols. I definitely had some bottles (not pointing fingers, but I have some specific companies in mind) where finding chemical name required literally 2-3 minutes of reading. Can you share bottle pictures to see if that is the issue?

If I had a penny every time I was told "check the bottle to make sure..." - so that is what I would emphasize.
Instantly readable labeling is a must. Low cost ideas":  Secondary "HF" or "HCl" stickers on the bottle in large letters, maybe in different colors. Highlighting chemical name on the label, possibly with different color markers. Switching one of chemicals to a different brand so bottle has different shape and label style...

Mike

Michael Yakimov

Research scientist

College of Nanoscale Science and Engineering

SUNY Polytechnic Institute

253 Fuller rd.

Albany NY 12203

Phone: 518-437-8609 lab