[labnetwork] SPTS Rapier Module - Laser/White Light Interferometry

James Grant James.Grant at glasgow.ac.uk
Sun Feb 19 05:49:15 EST 2023

Hello all,

Been almost two weeks since I posted this and believe we have come to some conclusions. Many thanks to all those who contributed. Tyndall and EPFL people were especially helpful.

  1.  We had a lot of back and forth with SPTS. They said that while they could see benefit of laser interferometry for our application, they currently did not offer the hardware to mount laser interferometry endpoint systems to the Rapier. We asked them to quote to so do, but they were unwilling. Fair enough.
  2.  I don't think the folks at Tyndall will mind me mentioning the challenges they have faced in getting laser interferometry on their SPTS Synapse module working. I understand the issue is spot stability and wobble, thought to be cased by heat from chamber walls - they Synapse walls are heated to 130oC. It's thought this won't be a problem on the Rapier as chamber walls are only heated to 55oC. Let's hope so.
  3.  We sent pictures and some dimensions of the pre-drilled holes at the top of our Rapier to Intellemetrics, our preferred laser endpoint system vendor. They believe it possible to mount a LEP 500 unit to the tool with not too much trouble.

Hope summary information is useful.

Cheers,

James

Dr. James Paul Grant