[labnetwork] Cryo-piping contractors for LN2 piping sought

Metzler, Meredith G. (Fed) meredith.metzler at nist.gov
Tue Feb 28 15:08:07 EST 2023

We are hoping the community can assist us in identifying a vendor who can inspect an existing LN2 delivery piping system in the cleanroom for our cryo-etch tools. We've recently started experiencing issues with a phase separator that keeps building up a large block of ice on the outside of it.

We have a 5 Gallon phase separator made by Chart Inc. with one outlet. It feeds liquid nitrogen to several tools in the etch bay of the cleanroom. The LN2 system is house regulated to 40 PSI at the inlet. The unit separates the gaseous N2 from the liquid. The liquid is stored in the 5 gallon volume surrounded by a vacuum jacket to prevent icing. The final LN2 inlet connection to the phase separator, the exhaust connection, and the over pressure relief connection seem to be the biggest points of failure. At these three points we have cold air and moisture condensation that forms an ice ball.

Although, we have made many at wrapping and insulating these connection points, we cannot quite get the coverage to eliminate this ice ball.

Does the community have any preferred cryo-piping contractors they can recommend to assist with solving this issue and any of our future cryo-piping needs?

Thanks!

Meredith Metzler
National Institute of Standards and Technology, Physical Measurement Laboratory
Process Engineer - Center for Nanoscale Science and Technology Facility, NanoFab
100 Bureau Drive, Mail Stop 6201, Building 216
Gaithersburg, MD 20899
301-975-8187
meredith.metzler at nist.gov<mailto:meredith.metzler at nist.gov>
https://www.nist.gov/cnst