[labnetwork] Cl2, BCl3 and Silane sensors for toxic gas monitoring

Dan P. Woodie daniel.woodie at cornell.edu
Fri Jan 13 16:32:23 EST 2023

Aju,

The standard within Cornell Engineering is that anywhere hazardous gases (flammable or toxic) are used, we monitor both the exhausted enclosure (gas cabinet, tool cabinet, etc.) and the breathing zone (ambient) air with separate sensors. The exhausted sensors only shut off the gas while the ambient sensors will trigger an evacuation (local or floor) and notification to our Cornell emergency response team. If use locations (gas cabinet and tool using gas) are close enough, we will combine ambient detection or ducted detection (monitor both a gas cabinet and an adjacent gas distribution box with a single sensor where exhaust ducts combine). So, a gas cabinet piping a hazardous gas to an enclosed tool in another room will have four sensors (at a minimum): ambient by the tool, ambient by the gas cabinet, exhaust duct of tool enclosure, exhaust duct of gas cabinet. We got to this standard 20 years ago when we did peer surveys of other research institutions and their standards.

If you only measure the ambient, you are oblivious to gas leaks from your cylinders into your ductwork until you notice it, or someone opens the gas cabinet and gets exposed. Ambient measurements are to prove you meet OSHA requirements for personnel exposure. Each serves a separate purpose and regulatory requirement. Your local Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ) may only require one in the cabinet, but OSHA, NFPA, and other guidance codes that are brought in under Best Known Practice requirements will push for ambient detection along these lines.

Feel free to give me a reach out if you want to discuss more.

Dan

Daniel Woodie
Safety Manager / Facilities Engineer
College of Engineering