[labnetwork] Deep anisotropic etching of SiO2

Howard Northfield Howard.Northfield at uottawa.ca
Wed Jan 18 19:05:20 EST 2023

That's a very deep etch.

Regarding dry etching:
I have recently done etch tests on PEVCD SiO2 with a SAMCO 10NR RIE:

- 50W, 80sccm CF4, 16sccm O2, 3.0Pa: ~21nm/min

- 25W, 25sccm SF6, 10sccm O2, 3.0Pa: ~7nm/min
- 50W, 25sccm SF6, 10sccm O2, 3.0Pa: ~19nm/min

... yes for 500um that would be around a 417 hour etch .... not feasible/realistic.
So you can probably rule out these etch recipes.

Regarding wet etching, generally I find it very hard to control and mask under-cut is significant.

Howard Northfield
Research Associate
Advanced Research Complex (ARC)
University of Ottawa