[labnetwork] launderable cleanroom clothing

N Shane Patrick patricns at uw.edu
Wed Sep 20 06:39:07 EDT 2023

Hi Dennis,

And with full knowledge and maybe a slightly vindictive hope that some of these companies are listening - it’s our opinion that there are no good cleanroom laundry vendors.

We went through this process when our contract with Cintas came up for renewal about 2 years ago. In terms of laundry quality we had no particular issues with that, but we did have issues with laundry going missing, laundry from a different group getting sent to us, poor communication, a steady creep in invoiced amounts, and at one point they added a different department here to our billing without confirming with us. To be fair, the managers of their cleanroom division have been promptly communicative and have always tried to work with us to fix the problem of the month. Communication wise I’d probably still prefer them.

And regardless, all of that would still be better that Aramark who never even returned our requests for quotes and the like.

Currently we are in an agreement with Prudential Cleanroom Services. Pricing and laundry quality has been great. I’ve got a couple of items that belong to someone else mixed in, but not too bad. Our biggest complaint with them has been that there was a major disagreement at the start of the contract about what we thought we ordered and what the paperwork said - at least part of that was on us - and it has been nearly impossible to get responses from the sales lead since the original contact negotiations, even if what I want to talk about is potentially giving them more money. I feel like they may have grown too quickly, at least their west coast arm, and are struggling to manage that. But that’s a feeling because no one will speak with me enough to confirm or deny it.

I know some places do their own laundry at this point. That might be best if you have the space and infrastructure.

At the end of the day, it really seems like they all have their problems, sharing many of the same problems even, and that there is no “easy to work with” option. At this point I essentially feel like I need to micromanage the process regardless of who is doing the service. I’ll review my documents and comment on pricing to you separately.

Best of luck. Really curious if this sentiment is general across this list or just us…

-N. Shane Patrick
Manager, Lab Operations and Safety
Washington Nanofabrication Facility
University of Washington