[labnetwork] Transparency masks

John Lee sang-joon.lee at sjsu.edu
Mon Jan 29 21:48:13 EST 2024

Hi, Demis.

Over the years we used 3M's products like CG3700 and PP2500 for the
very coarse "souvenir" patterns, but oddly those specific products
seem to be out of production.

One strategy that has interestingly worked is to print first using a
nice laser printer on ordinary white paper, and then run it through a
high-end office printer onto transparency film. Depending on what
copier you're using, the result on a good copier sometimes can be not
only more robust but also more opaque than on a laser printer (going
directly onto plastic).

More frequently when needing a low-cost alternative to glass-chromium
(when resolution can be coarse, that is), we go with laser
photoplotting services such as https://artnetpro.com/,
https://advancerepro.com/, or others. Minimum feature size is
generally good to ~10 µm. Feel free to reach out offline if you'd like
more detail.

Best,
-John
Sang-Joon (John) Lee, Professor
Mechanical Engineering, San José State University
One Washington Square, San José, CA 95192-0087
408-924-7167 | sang-joon.lee at sjsu.edu