[labnetwork] OPPORTUNITY ALERT: Postdoctoral Fellowship, A Canadian-Based Silicon Nitride Platform - Quantum and Classical applications!

Mnaymneh, Khaled Khaled.Mnaymneh at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
Wed Jan 31 16:53:07 EST 2024

Hello Labnetwork!

OPPORTUNITY ALERT! Please distribute to interested parties and networks, near and far; and especially to doctoral students who are very close to graduating or have recently graduated!

Here's the online job posting:

Postdoctoral Fellowship, A Canadian-Based Silicon Nitride Platform (nrc-cnrc.gc.ca)<https://recruitment-recrutement.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/job/Ottawa-Postdoctoral-Fellowship%2C-A-Canadian-Based-Silicon-Nitride-Platform-ON/567307317/>

If you have any questions about the position, please feel free to contact me! :-)

Cheers,
Khaled.

--
Postdoctoral Fellowship, A Canadian-Based Silicon Nitride Platform

The Program

Great Minds. One Goal. Canada's Success.

The NRC's Postdoctoral Fellowship program offers PDFs access to unique world-class facilities and the opportunity to work alongside multi-disciplinary teams of expert researchers and technicians on projects of critical importance to Canada. PDFs will carry out research on innovative research projects, with opportunities for career development (publications and/or industry interaction).

PDFs will be offered appointments to the staff of the National Research Council on a term basis and will be offered salaries and benefits currently available to Research Officers. Salaries commensurate with experience are taxable and subject to other deductions. As a guide, the current annual PhD recruiting rate is $74,230. In addition PDFs will be allocated a travel fund to support their work.

Project Title

A Canadian-Based Silicon Nitride Platform

Your Challenge

Are you intrigued by the quantum world?

Would you like to be at the center of Quantum's second revolution?

Then this Postdoctoral Fellowship at Canada's premier National Lab, the National Research Council, is for you!

Come and join world-leading experts in the area of quantum optics and nanotechnology, and become an international trendsetter in the field of advanced quantum materials and devices. Today's material platforms for quantum devices fall short when it comes to delivering the right properties for realizing Quantum Advantage. Here at the NRC, we are changing that in a big way! We are establishing a uniquely Canadian silicon-nitride platform, which is set to be the new "silicon" for the world's next-generation photonic and quantum technologies.

Your mission - should you choose to accept it - will entail a Quantum-Optics-Lab-On-A-Chip approach. Working with top-tier international universities, industry and other government agencies, like the Canadian Space Agency, you will design, fabricate and characterize chip components that perform and process optical and quantum information. Specially, you will perform a careful study of film-material parameters; and more specifically, the refractive index of highly stoichiometric Si3N4, and how it governs critical dispersion engineering and nonlinear optical qualities needed to achieve on-chip all-optical performance.

Are you ready to join us?

About AEP

We keep Canadians connected by pushing the boundaries of photonics and electronics research to develop new communications and sensing technologies.

More...<https://nrc.canada.ca/en/research-development/research-collaboration/research-centres/advanced-electronics-photonics-research-centre?utm_campaign=homepage-areas-research&utm_medium=dropdown-menu&utm_source=aep-link-e>

Why Work With Us

We work with key collaborators and provide expert, research-based advice on design and simulation, materials, fabrication, integration and full-scale testing of:

  *   integrated optics
  *   semiconductor lasers
  *   sensors
  *   printable electronics
  *   fabrication processes and prototyping

Education

PhD in Physics, Electrical Engineering, Engineering Physics or a relevant Engineering field.

Leave of absences may be considered in applications from candidates exceeding the five-year cut-off providing information is included at time of application.

For information on certificates and diplomas issued abroad, please see Degree equivalency<https://www.canada.ca/en/public-service-commission/jobs/services/gc-jobs/degree-equivalency.html>

Experience

  *   Experience with hands-on nanofabrication and thin-film experience
  *   Experience with integrated optics and chip design

Language Requirements

English

Information on language requirements and self-assessment tests<https://www.canada.ca/en/public-service-commission/services/second-language-testing-public-service/self-assessment-tests.html>

Condition of Employment

Reliability Status

Who is eligible?

  *   Fellowships will be for two years contingent on satisfactory progress achieved during the first year.
  *   Candidates should have obtained a PhD (or equivalent) within the past three years (PhD received on or after July 1, 2021*) or expect to complete their PhD within 6 months of appointment.
  *   Fellows will work in a lab under the direct supervision of an NRC researcher.

* Exceptions may be considered to recognize personal or family related leave. Please connect with us using the contact information below to discuss in more detail.

Application Requirements

In order to be considered for the program please include the following in your application, please note that you will need to attach the required documents as per the list below when submitting your application. Failure to do so will result in your application being excluded from searches.

  *   Resume
  *   Statement of Interest in the project (maximum one page in length)
  *   PhD Transcript - an electronic copy is sufficient, it does not have to be an official version.
  *   List of Publications

When submitting your application you can include the required documents in any attachment field such as «Second language evaluation results» or «Other attachments»

In addition, applicants who best meet the requirements of the position will be asked to provide three letters of recommendation at a later stage of the competition process.

Compensation

The intent of this hiring action is to staff through the Postdoctoral Fellowships Program at the RCO-2/AsRO level, which is an early-career level position with a salary range of $74,230 to $103,093.

NOTE: Salary determination will be based on a review of the candidate's expertise, outcomes and impacts of their previous work experience relative to the requirements of the level.  As a guide, the current annual PhD recruiting rate is $74,230.

NRC employees enjoy a wide-range of competitive benefits<http://nrc.canada.ca/en/corporate/careers/nrc-advantage> including comprehensive health and dental plans, vacation, sick, and other leave entitlements, disability insurance and pension plans.

The NRC Advantage

The National Research Council of Canada (NRC) is the Government of Canada's largest research organization supporting industrial innovation, the advancement of knowledge and technology development. We collaborate with over 70 colleges, universities and hospitals annually, work with 800 companies on their projects, and provide advice or funding to over 8000 Small and Medium-sized Enterprises (SMEs) each year.

We bring together the brightest minds to deliver tangible impacts on the lives of Canadians and people around the world. And now, we want to partner with you.  Let your expertise and inspirations make an impact by joining the NRC.

At the NRC Employee wellness matters. We offer flexible work schedules as well as part-time work to help employees maintain work-life balance. We are one of the few federal organizations that close our offices during the December holiday season.  We offer professional learning and development opportunities such as conferences, workshops, and a suite of mentorship, award and recognition programs. Diversity enables creativity and innovation. Fostering a diverse, inclusive, welcoming and supportive workplace is important to us, and contributes to a more inclusive Canadian innovation system. We welcome all qualified applicants and encourage you to complete the employment equity self-declaration questions during the job application process. Please let us know of any accommodation measures required to help you to be assessed in a fair and equitable manner. Please note that the information you provide will be treated confidentially.

Help us solve problems for Canada. Grow your career with us today!

Notes

  *   Relocation assistance will be determined in accordance with the NRC's directives.
  *   Fellowships are open to nationals of all countries, although preference will be given to Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents of Canada. Please include citizenship information in your application.
  *   The incumbent must adhere to safe workplace practices at all times.
  *   We thank all those who apply, however only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.

Please direct your questions, with the requisition number (18898) to:

E-mail: NRC.NRCHiring-EmbaucheCNRC.CNRC at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca<mailto:NRC.NRCHiring-EmbaucheCNRC.CNRC at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca>

Telephone: 506-686-2961

Closing Date: 26 March 2024 - 23:59 Atlantic Time

For more information on career tools and other resources, check out Career tools and resources<http://nrc.canada.ca/en/node/1194/>

--
Dr Khaled Mnaymneh, PEng
Senior Scientist, National Research Council Canada

This message and any attachments may contain confidential and privileged material classified as "Protected A" and is for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any review, use, distribution or disclosure by (or to) others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient (or authorized to receive for the recipient), please contact the sender by reply email and delete all copies of this message. Thank You.

Ce message et toute pièce jointe connexe pourraient contenir de l'information confidentielle ou privilégiée désignée « Protégé A ». Ils s'adressent exclusivement à leur destinataire. L'examen, l'utilisation, la distribution et la communication de ce message par ou à d'autres personnes sont strictement interdits. Si ce message ne vous est pas destiné (ou si vous n'avez pas l'autorisation expresse de le recevoir au nom du destinataire), veuillez contacter l'expéditeur en répondant à ce courriel et détruire toute copie du message. Merci.