[labnetwork] Clean Room Garments

Mario Portillo hbtusainc at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 2 10:07:59 EST 2009

Dear Labnetwork Members,

Having been 35 years in photolithography I visit Laboratories like yours globally, I would like to share with you my humble observations..

NOT ALL BUDGETS ARE CREATED EQUAL....What works well for one does not mean it is the most economical choice...only means you have the money.

1) "Launder Your Own" seems to be globally the number one choice and of course the most budget forgiving.. It is the most troublesome as you need to assign staff/students to take care of this. It can be a headache to keep a constant fluidity of these garments into the cleanroom at certain times of the year. Budget vs. Headaches......I think budget wins...

2) "Hired Outside Services" Expensive initially to buy the garments and pay for laudering services. Depending on your geographical location it can be expensive to maintain.

3) "Hired Outside Services" Rent the garments and laundering services.
Depending on number of students I think the most expensive in the long run.

4) "Throw Away Garments" unless you buy big quantities at a good price and the wear n tear is resonable low, it can be expensive also....

In my opinion.....your budget determines your choice.

Regards

Mario A. Portillo Sr.
High'born Technology USA Inc.
Semiconductor Equipment Services