[labnetwork] Cadmium Telluride sputtering

Bob Hamilton bob at eecs.berkeley.edu
Sun Jun 21 20:05:41 EDT 2009

I suggest a review of the issue of tellurium breath, which can occur
at relatively low Te exposure rates:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tellurium

You should use dedicated chamber hardware when sputtering CdTe.

At the UC Berkeley Microlab we often invoke disposable shielding
(aluminum foil) to contain deposit residues and dispose of the such
shielding through our campus hazardous waste agents.

In addition, we fabricate dedicated chamber hardware such as the
target clamp rings, screws and substrate holders. These can then be
sent, as necessary to chemical cleaning companies who specializes in
semiconductor parts cleaning such as TMPI in Hayward, CA.

Firms such as TMPI are trained and licensed to clean chamber hardware
and are qualified and used to working with toxic metals.

With proper caution and engineering solutions toxic metals can be
handled safely.

Bob Hamilton

Robert Hamilton
University of California at Berkeley