[labnetwork] Question: is a must to have CO2 fire suppression system for Polypro wet benches with heating ability

Schweiger, Dennis schweig at umich.edu
Tue May 10 07:07:35 EDT 2011

Jianchao,

Your best answer should come from the Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ) for your facility, and your insurance underwriter.  I don't believe polypropylene materials will meet the NFPA code (FM 4910) for fire resistant materials within a clean room, which is typically a PVC-C material.

At UofM, we are not using gaseous fire suppression anywhere, as we could never get it to work for our facility (you have to damper the exhaust, it requires a huge number of tanks to get the suppression volume, etc...).  We do have our wet process stations (all of which are FM 4910 compliant for the clean room) on a separate sprinkler feed, so that in the event we have an issue, once it's mitigated, we can isolate the sprinkler system, without losing protection in the rest of the fab.

Dennis Schweiger
Facilities Manager

Lurie Nanofabrication Facility
University of Michigan
1301 Beal Ave.
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-2122

734.647.2055 Ofc
877.471.6208 Fax
734.320.4474 Cell

"People can be divided into 3 groups - those that make things happen, those that watch things happen, and those that wonder what happened."