[labnetwork] Silicon Nitride question

Philip Infante pi12 at cornell.edu
Thu Apr 12 16:54:40 EDT 2012

Hello Rick,

At the CNF we run a heated valve and fore line from the quartz tube up to an MKS/HPS water cooled trap. The trap condenses out the ammonium chloride byproduct from the process and is easily cleaned with water on a periodic maintenance interval. We also use HPS jacketed heaters self regulated at 150 C. This set up works great and we get minimal deposit between the trap and dry pump. We use an Ebara dry pump running at a 125 C case temp and heat the pump outlet line up to an Edwards Gas Reactor Column before it hits the pump exhaust main.

The majority of the work here is silicon rich/low stress nitride - which uses higher dichlorosilane flows.

Unreacted dichlorosilane is a bigger concern than the hydrogen byproduct. Scrubbing the pump outlet is important and we have learned from "real world experience" that even at very low dilutions (<1% SICl2H2) you can get a flammable/explosive deposits built up in the pump exhaust over time. I have attached a paper that describes this deposit build up associated with dichlorosilane based processes. Since installing the scrubber we have not had any issues with deposits building up.

I am not sure of what effect the platinum would have with the process gas.

Phil

Phil Infante
Cornell NanoScale Facility
Cornell University