[labnetwork] Silicon Nitride question

Robert M. Hamilton bob at eecs.berkeley.edu
Mon Apr 16 12:47:19 EDT 2012

Chris Balicki,

Re: less than ideal N2 pump purge gas purity/lpcvd nitride
pumps:

I have found my conversations with Edwards constructive and
their pump staff well informed. My first suggestion is to
call Edwards for some guidance on the issue of your N2
quality, the partial pressures of O2 and its affects on
their pumps. The iQ series pump have been our stalwarts for
decades. We continue to have them rebuilt as needed. For the
nitride process we see lifetimes of three years and better.
We operate our nitride with iQ's and Edwards QMB blowers.

Appended is an excerpt from the Q-series instruction manual
which offers insight into the N2 purge circuits. I am
attaching the pdf to this reply; however, it may not be
deliverable to the rest of the labnetwork list e-mails
because of IT security.

4.2 Gas flow rates and pressures
Table 2 (see Section 2) shows the maximum flow rates for the
shaft-seals purge, 3/4-interstage
purge and 2/3-interstage purge gas flows. During operation,
you must set the flow rates of the 3/4-interstage purge and
the 2/3-interstage purge pipelines to the required values.
These values are dependent on the process in which the
pump is used and you should adjust the flow rates according
to your experience. If you exceed
the flow rates specified in Table 2, the performance of the
pump may be reduced.
You must set the pressure of the shaft-seals purge as
specified in Table 2 and Section 3.11. You
must not attempt to adjust the flow rate of the shaft-seals
purge (which is determined by the
pumpitself). The nominal flow rate of the shaft-seals purge
is 12 l.min-1 . If the flow rate is higher
than the nominal value, you may reduce the flow rate of the
3/4-interstage purge by
[F-12] l.min-1 (where F is the actual shaft-seals flow
rate). This will reduce the amount of nitrogen
exhausted from the pump.

As you can see, the purge gas on an iQ series pump goes to
several locations, the gear box to protect the transmission
and seals, two interstage areas and the exhaust. I would
guess the interstage will be the area of most concern given
your O2 partial pressure as this is where most of the
reaction products are likely to form. Part of the purpose of
this interstage purge is to prevent a phase change to a
liquid of the pumped gases, during compression. Given the
nitride process you may be able to operate by completely
shutting off the interstage N2 purge (for safety, the
exhaust gas purge should remain in spec. as this is part of
dilution).

Call Edwards tech support. They can offer you better guidance.

Note, our lpcvd nitride tubes deliver a variety of nitride
films and are also used for HTO (high temperature oxide).
The Pareto numbers for the two tubes, (one restricted to MOS
and one for MEMS) are, for the last 12 months:
MOS:    86.94% availability
MEMS: 85.50%     "

Prior to H2O our uptimes were in the mid 90%. I expect to
improve our current numbers with modifications to the way we
add N2O for the HTO process and the way we manage our N2O
recipes.

I'd be interested in learning your results. Liquid
nitrogen/N2 is one of our largest operating costs. We've
toyed with on-sight N2 generation; however, installation is
a "big bite" and a plant not without operating costs. So far
we've passed this up given the purities such on-site
generation delivers.

Bob Hamilton

Robert M. Hamilton
Marvel NanoLab