[labnetwork] duct material for pyrophorics

Schweiger, Dennis schweig at umich.edu
Wed Feb 15 10:57:05 EST 2012

Iulian,

Good morning.  Sorry for the late reply in getting back to you.  All of the "new" metal ductwork in our fab that could be exposed to an HPM material is the Teflon coated material, the Fab-Tech PSP product.  Even in the older portion of our fab, wherever we're adding branches to an existing fiberglass system, we're using the PSP product.  I'll agree that field changes are not as simple, but with planning, we have not run into any issues in either modifying the PSP, or swapping out sections to accommodate the necessary changes.  In fact, for both our Renovation Project, and our Expansion Project, there was a huge dollar savings (+$200K) to go with this material in lieu of the fiberglass.  We probably have over a million dollars' worth of their product in our fab.

To answer your question though, my opinion would be that it would be money well spent, especially when you consider the long term infrastructure cost.  You're not building a lab for here and now, you're building a lab for the future.  What type of facility infrastructure will be required to support research in the future?

As a side note, our solvent/heat exhaust system is spiral wound, galvanized material.

Dennis Schweiger
Facilities Manager

Lurie Nanofabrication Facility
University of Michigan
1301 Beal Ave.
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-2122

734.647.2055 Ofc
877.471.6208 Fax
586.531.3030 Cell

"People can be divided into 3 groups - those that make things happen, those that watch things happen, and those that wonder what happened."