[labnetwork] Hydrogen Generation

Bill Flounders bill at eecs.berkeley.edu
Wed Jul 18 16:30:36 EDT 2012

Thomas,
While I have had excellent experience with Proton Systems
and recommend an H2 generator to minimize bottle changes,
I know of no requirement to keep H2 in a gas cabinet.
Your local authority may impose a different requirement.

On site hydrogen generation with a PEM strategy rather than
a potassium hydroxide system - in a facility that already has
excess high quality DI water and excess electrical capacity
(as our labs usually do) makes sense. It takes some time to
recover the investment - if it is not being compared to a gas cabinet.

I ask that the discussion address which labs keep H2
in a gas cabinet and why. There are arguments against keeping H2
in a gas cabinet rather than having it open to lab air where the air
changes per hour are significant and offer their own safety.

Bill Flounders
UCBerkeley