[labnetwork] H2 Generators

Robert M. Hamilton bob at eecs.berkeley.edu
Fri Jul 20 13:29:58 EDT 2012

Colleagues,

I'd like to add another note of caution. I too have worked
with H2 for a considerable amount of time. Given most lab's
volumes I do not agree a gas cabinet is "best practice" for
180 cu ft cylinder of H2. Having said this I'd like to stay
of out that fray (note the LEL's for H2/air are ~17%, the
LFL's ~ 5%; it doesn't take a big room to dilute H2 to below
these values.

Worth adding to this discussion is the routing of H2 lines
and the danger of H2 mixtures in closed chambers.

H2, when routed through lines near a ceiling can pool H2 in
dangerous amounts. For a mocvd installation, done some years
ago in a room with a t-grid ceiling, an exhaust was added at
the ceiling level to prevent the danger of pooling H2, a
lighter gas than air.

A mixture of H2 and air or another oxidizer, in a closed
chamber such as a furnace tube or bell-jar, is a significant
hazard. The brisance of H2 reactions can result in
significant force. Proper mixtures of Ar/H2 or N2/H2
eliminate this risk. Ratios on the order of 20/1 are common.
A few decades ago I routinely (daily) used forming gas (N2
80%/H2 20%) in confined spaces (mircowave tube processing)
with open flames. I never witnessed that ratio burn. That
was best known method at that time.

Currently, the commonly accepted ratio H2 mixes is 5% in
some other inert gas.

I agree RFO's are a great line of defense. As per John
Shott/Stanford we use the DISS standard for all of our
dangerous gases and incorporated DISS + RFO's early on.

Bob

PS as an added note, the worst lab explosion I've witnessed
(after the fact) was an iced-over LN Dewar

Robert M. Hamilton
Marvel NanoLab
University of CA at Berkeley
Rm 520 Sutardja Dai Hall