[labnetwork] Fwd: Requesting expertise/ experience with Scrubber by-products in Fab.

Kuhn, Jeffrey G kuhn1 at purdue.edu
Tue Nov 27 16:31:42 EST 2012

Robert,

Based on your description of the airstream entering your scrubber, you should not have this problem - but obviously you do. I have a few questions and comments:

*         Your conductivity setpoint of 5000 uS concerns me for two reasons:

o   Assuming your make-up water conductivity is around 750 uS (typical for the Midwest), then you are running between six and seven cycles of concentration. That creates a lot of nutrients in the scrubber sump that bacteria can use to grow and multiply. The 7.5 to 9.5 pH you mention is a good operating range, but is also ideal for bacteria growth under those conditions.

o   If you are using high-hardness potable water for sump make-up (again, typical for the Midwest), then you will almost certainly create scaling on the scrubber packing as the calcium and magnesium precipitate out. This scale will eventually decrease the airflow through the packing by clogging the air paths and will result in a gradual increase in your exhaust fan speed as it tries to maintain your static pressure requirements.

*         My biggest curiosity lies in where the bacteria are coming from. Are there any BSL hoods tied into the scrubber, or are there any other biological agents that could be "seeding" the sump?

*         Is there any way that free acids, bases, etc. could be getting into the sump? Typically, the small amount of fumes from lab hoods should not cause a rapid change in pH or conductivity.

*         Is your pH and conductivity instrumentation calibrated routinely? Conductivity instruments tend to be relatively stable but pH instrumentation should be calibrated monthly - even more often if history indicates that it is necessary. pH electrodes should be replaced at least annually.

*         When you drain and refill your sump, what conductivity and pH numbers do you see initially and how rapidly do they change?

*         Are you certain that the scrubber is of sufficient size to handle the load (CFM, static pressure, face velocity, etc)?

I'd like to make the following recommendations as a starting point:

*         Measure the conductivity of your make-up water, then set your blow down to maintain the sump at 3X that value initially. Run that way for a while and see how it impacts the problem.

*         Verify that your pH and conductivity instrumentation has been calibrated and replace the pH sensor if it has aged beyond a year or so.

*         Audit your system for the possible introduction of liquids or other materials from sources other than the fume hoods.

*         If you do data collection through Siemens, Johnson Controls, etc., trend the fan operation to see if it is speeding up over time with no additional demands being placed on the exhaust (an indication that fouling is occurring).

If you try these things, please let us know if there are any improvements.

Good luck!

Jeff Kuhn
Facility Engineer
Birck Nanotechnology Center