[labnetwork] HEPA Filters

Bill Flounders bill at eecs.berkeley.edu
Tue Sep 25 13:33:11 EDT 2012

Colleagues,

UC Berkeley can substantiate Phillippe Flückiger observations about HEPA
longevity. The Microlab began operations in 1984 and during its 26 year
life-cycle we never had to replace a HEPA filter because of particle
should qualify this by pointing out the HEPA's in use were the common
type, made of spun-borosilicate and were thus "tortuous path filters"
and not "absolute", i.e they operated by electrostatic force rather than
by absolute pore size.

When and if the NanoLab, whose facilities supersede the Microlab
requires HEPA replacement it is likely we will have to pay for them. The
pre-filter replacements are covered by the Campus.

Bob Hamilton

Bob Hamilton
Marvel NanoLab
University of CA at Berkeley