[labnetwork] HEPA Filters

Weaver, John R jrweaver at purdue.edu
Tue Sep 25 14:42:00 EDT 2012

In my experience, the major reason for changing HEPA or ULPA filters - unless there is an "incident" - is the failure of the seal between the T-bar ceiling grid and the filter housing. If you are using a gel-track system, this is generally a non-issue.

The only warning is that if you are using a closed cell (or worse, open cell) gasket material and it fails, you may not catch the failure with a particle counter. The particles given off and allowed through are often far bigger than a particle counter can detect. A bright-light inspection is the primary method for finding these large particles. You need to get on a ladder and inspect the top of the T-bar downstream of the seal. The other approach is to pull a filter module and inspect the gasket directly. Unless there is chemical usage in the area, the gaskets should "dry out" at about the same rate. Most neoprene seals (closed cell) should last more than 15 years; I've had some last more than 20.

John

John R. Weaver
Facility Manager
Birck Nanotechnology Center