[labnetwork] Using CDA, rather than N2, as pump purge in Bosch-like processes?

N P VAMSI KRISHNA vamsinittala at gmail.com
Fri Apr 12 00:36:47 EDT 2013

Dear John,
Even we face same problem. Our Dry etch and PECVD tools drink more N2 than
any other pumps in the clean room.
We found our DRIE tool has an inbuilt software option which restricts the
pump N2 flow during stand by mode, which is really helping us to save a lot
of N2. For the same option we had a long discussion with our RIE and PECVD
manufacturer; recently we got to know that they also developed a software
for the same, which we still need to purchase and install.
For your tools you may need to talk to the manufactures if they have any
option as such.
So as Fouad mentioned that would be great if the all the manufactures work
on this.

Thanks & Regards,

*Vamsi Krishna*
Sr.Facility Technologist - Dry Etch & Process Integration
National Nano Fabrication Center
Center for Nano Science and Engineering (CeNSE)
Indian Institute of Science(IISc)
Bangalore 560012, INDIA
Mobile:  +91 9880988239

On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 1:16 AM, Lavallee, Guy P. <gpl107 at psu.edu> wrote:

> John,
>    I believe the issue with the Fluorine chemistries is the formation of
> HF if you ever have water in the CDA which then gets into the pumps.  The
> potential of creating this would obviously be dependent on how much
> unreacted fluorine would reach the pump as well as how reactive the
> effluents would be with water leading to the formation of HF.
>
> The other issue you have to think about besides water (which the pumps
> won't like either regardless of HF formation) would be the potential of oil
> being in the CDA.  This will be highly dependent on the type of CDA system
> you have at your facility.
>
> We have thought about changing from N2 to CDA as well but have been very
> hesitate due to the many unknowns and not wanting to risk it.  It would be
> interesting to hear others inputs.
>
> Thanks,
> Guy
>
> Penn State University's Nanofabrication Laboratory
> Lead Etch Engineer
> Materials Research Institute
> N-105 Millennium Science Complex (MSC Bldg)
> University Park, PA 16802
> Email: gpl107 at psu.edu
> Phone: 814-865-9339
> Cell: 814-777-0719

Thanks & Regards,

*Vamsi Krishna*
Sr.Facility Technologist - Process Integration
National Nano Fabrication Center
Center for Nano Science and Engineering (CeNSE)
Indian Institute of Science(IISc)
Bangalore 560012, INDIA
Mobile:  +91 9880988239

*A bird sitting on the branch of a tree is not afraid of the branch shaking
or breaking, because it trusts not the branches but its OWN WINGS.

*