[labnetwork] E-Beam Evaporation, Ni optimization.

Dennis Grimard dgrimard at umich.edu
Thu Aug 1 13:53:13 EDT 2013

I agree in principle with Bill ... the "original" intent of the this forum
was to address facility operations and fab-level issues not process details
or process equipment details ...

I feel that the forum could become so diluted that many of us will "tune
out" due to the volume of the questions ...

On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 5:01 PM, Charles Ellis <elliscd at auburn.edu> wrote:

>  I could be wrong as the original intent  of this forum, but I welcome
> the process questions..  I think it is a great place for the old guys like
> me and some of you to share our experiences and maybe help some of these
> young guys.  As a lab manager I also welcome the operations discussions –
> it does not seem that this forum is overly busy and so I vote we encourage
> process questions as well as operational questions.  It seems to have been
> working quite well so far. I very much enjoy the traffic I have seen over
> the years..
>
>  Just my 2 cents!
>
>  Charles Ellis…
> Auburn..
>
>   From: Bill Flounders <bill at eecs.berkeley.edu>
> Date: Wednesday, July 31, 2013 2:00 PM
> To: Chandrashekar S Kambar <kambar009 at gmail.com>, "labnetwork at mtl.mit.edu"
> <labnetwork at mtl.mit.edu>
> Subject: Re: [labnetwork] E-Beam Evaporation, Ni optimization.
>
>   Chandrashekar S Kambar,
> Lab Network is primarily for operations discussions
> or facility wide issues rather than detailed nanofabrication questions.
> Please consider the mems talk venue for
> questions at this level of process detail.
> I also encourage you to contact Process Support
> at CHA Industries
> http://www.chaindustries.com/
>
> I welcome dissenting opinion from the network
> if I have misrepresented our forum.
>
> Thank you
> Bill Flounders
> UC Berkeley
>

> Chandrashekar S Kambar wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> We are trying to optimize Ni with E-Beam Evaporator (TECPORT).
>
> The E-Beam power is raised in two steps: RAISE 1, SOAK 1 AND RAISE 2, SOAK
> 2.
> ELECTRON BEAM PATTERN: Focused to one point (to the middle of the
> crucible).
> CRUCIBLE: Graphite.
>
> ISSUE: During the RAISE 1, everything seems to be normal and only the
> material in the middle of the crucible gets melted. During the RAISE 2 the
> material starts to spit out of the crucible. During the deposition the
> spitting increases drastically, thus we will be forced to stop the
> deposition. After the deposition when we take out the crucible, crucible
> was broken across the wall. However there was no damage done to the pocket
> holder (Hearth).
>
> Power % : Raise 1: 5% (V= 6.99 KV and I ~ 70 mA)
>                 Raise 2: 10% (V= 6.99 KV and I ~ 120 mA)
>                 During the deposition Power % goes up to 16% and the
> current goes up to 180 mA ( V = 6.99 KV constant).
>
> We need to know, if there is any way to reduce the crucible cracking and
> to avoid the spitting of the material.
>
> QUESTION 2:
>
> During the deposition the crucibles are cracked and its pieces are stuck
> with the Ni material. Is there any way to recover the material by removing
> the graphite pieces?
>
> Thanks and Regards,
> [...]

Dennis S Grimard, Ph.D
Managing Director, Lurie Nanofabrication Facility

University of Michigan
1246D EECS Building
1301 Beal Avenue
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-2122