[labnetwork] Corrosive exhaust material of construction

Bob Hamilton roberthamilton at berkeley.edu
Mon Dec 23 20:47:02 EST 2013

Iulian, Colleagues,

Having built, in 1984, and managed the facilities of the UC Microlab I
have my answer to the question about ducting material.

We used Plasite coated galvanized duct. Around 2000 we had a duct fire
over our LPCVD furnaces, gallons of accumulated pump oil in a lateral.
Following the duct fire the duct was inspected by a third party for
integrity, found mostly in excellent shape and put back into service.
About 10 feet of the lateral was replaced because it was damaged and
actually glowing red during the burn-off of that oil (rather impressive
when your holding the fire extinguisher).

In 2011, when we moved to our new lab, those same ducts were inspected
by a third party for integrity to see if they could be re-purposed. Note
that both laterals and risers of this same ducting serviced our acid and
etch wet process station. The main riser saw all of the accumulated
exhaust. After 26 years of harsh service these ducts were deemed in
excellent condition with more service life. To be fair there were some
areas that needed repair. The uncoated dampers where the flexible PVC
tubing from the wet process stations transitioned to the duct were
corroded. These dampers were dynamic and areas of them weren't coated.

An added benefit to Plasite was when we needed to modify the ducting our
HVAC contractors and our machine shop could fabricate new sheet metal
and coat the modified pieces plus, in site coat the modified with Plasite.

I cannot give you a cost/benefit for other ducting. If anyone asks me
for my recommendation I will, without hesitation recommend Plasite
coated ducts for both their chemical resistance and for their
fire-ratings as well as the added benefit of being reconfigurable at
modest cost.

The taste of a pudding is in its eating,
Bob Hamilton

--
Robert Hamilton
University of California at Berkeley