[labnetwork] Oxide growth in Nitrogen

Robert M. Hamilton bob at eecs.berkeley.edu
Mon Feb 11 12:41:15 EST 2013

Savitha P.,

It is difficult to predict the purity of the N2 in your
atmospheric process tube without knowing more about the
geometry of the tube. Is it a horizontal or vertical furnace?

Backstreaming will play a role in the furnace atmosphere.
One presumes the tube has an exit opening(s) which ports
into a scavenger. Back-diffusion/partial pressure laws will
invariably increase O2, CO2 and water vapor partial
pressures in the furnace environment.

At Berkeley, we reduced O2 contamination by modifying our
OEM's furnace tube exit port design. In addition to reducing
overall exit orifice area, we increased the number of exit
ports and positioned them symmetrically around the
circumference for better cross-wafer uniformity.

Our go/no go standard for N2 atmospheres in our atmospheric
furnaces was >5 nm oxide/1000 C/12 hours.

Also, the furnace pre-clean step is important. I'll defer to
others on the labnetwork who are more qualified to discuss this.

Bob Hamilton

Bob Hamilton
Marvel NanoLab
University of CA at Berkeley