[labnetwork] final filter on makeup air units

Mark Heiden mheiden at engr.ucr.edu
Tue Jun 4 17:22:08 EDT 2013

Iulian,

We have a similar configuration at UC Riverside to the one that you
described. Our experience was that the HEPA filters on the output of our MAU
were problematic. Our system injects deionized steam into the air stream for
humidity control which saturated the HEPA filters at the end of the MAU.
FYI.. wet HEPA filters do not pass air. I suspect in very high humidity
climates (we are in So. Cal. so that was not supposed to be an issue) even
without steam injection, HEPA filters may collect too much moisture to flow.
If your MAU system and the inlet air is dry and stays dry it may work. We
"over" humidify coming out of the MAU so by the time that air is mixed with
the less humid return air in the space it comes back through the
re-circulation units at exactly 45%.

Hope this helps,

Mark Heiden
UC Riverside
Center for Nanoscale Science and Engineering
NanoFab Cleanroom Manager
(951) 827-2551
mheiden at engr.ucr.edu