[labnetwork] 100% Silane Bottle Changing

Tom Britton tbritton at criticalsystemsinc.com
Tue Jun 11 13:27:49 EDT 2013

Hello Laura,

Here is what we offer from Critical Systems. These practices come from a production environment, but should be well suited for use at your facility.

SiH4 Cylinder Change

Scope: This covers the basic steps of changing a SiH4 Cylinder, recommended Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), best known methods used in the industry and is not intended as a Procedure.

Cylinder Change Sequence:

  1.  Cylinder Valve Shutoff Test
  2.  Pre Purge
  3.  Cylinder Change
  4.  Post Purge
  5.  Gas Introduction

1. Cylinder Valve Shutoff Test:

  1.  Close Cylinder Valve:
     *   Remove quick disconnect from cylinder valve. Quick disconnect connects to top of cylinder valve. SiH4 cylinder should be equipped with an Air operated cylinder valve (Normally Closed)
     *   Rotate knurled handle on valve approximately 90 degrees (verify direction of rotation with arrow and label located either on the side of the cylinder valve or the top of the cylinder valve.)

2. Pre Purge

     *   Auto purge should be set up to perform 60 cycles of pressure at a minimum of 80 psi and vacuum -12

3. Cylinder change: Recommended equipment and Personal Protective Equipment

     *   Recommended Personal Protective Equipment
·        Nomex hood; should cover head, face (over nose and mouth) and  neck area
·        Nomex Smock
·        Safety Glasses
·        Face Shield
·        Gloves (gauntlet style leather)
·        Handheld leak checker specific to SIH4 (ppm level detection)

     *   Buddy System: Always use two people to change cylinder.
·        Disconnect pigtail from cylinder valve through window with door closed and latched,
·        One person uses leak checker to verify cylinder valve one person to disconnect cylinder.
·        Place cap on cylinder valve prior removing from cabinet
·        Place cylinder cap on cylinder prior to removing from cabinet.
·        Always use new DISS Gasket when installing new cylinder

4. Post Purge

     *   Auto purge should be set up for a minimum of 60 purge cycles to remove all atmosphere or moisture introduced during cylinder change.

5. Gas Introduction

     *   Rotate cylinder valve or knurled handle as per directions on either the side of the cylinder valve or the top of the cylinder valve.
     *   Attach quick disconnect fitting or airline.
     *   When cylinder pressure is indicated on PT-1 use handheld leak checker on pigtail connection to cylinder valve verify no leaks.

Tom Britton
Director of Sales
Critical Systems, Inc.
7000 W. Victory Road