[labnetwork] gowning services and laundering vs. disposable

Dennis Schweiger schweig at umich.edu
Tue Jun 25 07:30:00 EDT 2013

Richard,

good morning.  Here at UofMichigan we use all launderable suits for regular
entry, and we'll issue disposable suits to the one-off entry, the
occasional contractor that needs to enter, or if there is a potential for
damage to our launderable garments.  We've been using Cintas since about
2008, when we migrated from all disposable to the laundry service.  It's
not the cure-all, be-all, but it is working for us.  the hardest part is
keeping the inventory adjusted to accommodate the variety in user sizes.
 I've attached a snapshot of what we have had cleaned for the last 8
weeks.  It costs us about $1,100/week for the laundry service at our
current usage levels.  All of the suits are pulled every Monday morning
when we do lab clean, and Cintas delivers the clean product later that
day.  Now that our inventory is "correct" we don't have to worry too much
about running out of a size/garment.  Years ago, when we were using
disposable, the changeout of the suits was up to the user...........you'd
see the entire spectrum in the cleanroom in regard to wear levels......from
torn suits to new ones every single day.

One of the advantages of using the washable garments for us is that it
allowed us to modify them with fasteners on the back so that we can slowly
migrate to name tags (sports jersey style) for all of the users as a way to
easily identify who's in the cleanroom with our video cameras.  Currently
only our staff have the back tags.

For the disposable suits we use on occasion, we're currently using a Dupont
Tyvek (Micro-Clean 2-1-2) product, but are actively looking at a Kimberly
Clark A5 product.

Dennis Schweiger
University of Michigan
Lurie Nanofabrication Facility

734.647.2055 Ofc

"People can be divided into 3 groups - those that make things happen, those
that watch things happen, and those that wonder what happened."  Within
which group do you belong?