[labnetwork] gowning services and laundering vs. disposable

Hughes, John S hughes at illinois.edu
Tue Jun 25 14:25:36 EDT 2013

Hello Richard,

I'll add some slight variations to what you've already heard.

We at MNTL use launderable garments, which we own. We originally started with Tyvek disposables, then went to Aramark Cleanroom Services, where they owned the garments. Then, because I didn't like Aramark, we went to ALSCO Cleanroom Services. ALSCO was bought out by Aramark, giving me the justification to buy our own garments and contract with a different laundering service, TEK Products.

As Dennis Schweiger mentioned, coming to the right inventory numbers can be very tricky, and our user base has been steadily increasing (~260 users now), making it even more challenging. One big difference in our methods, though, pertains to when we send the garments out for laundering.

Each of our cleanroom users has their own cube locker for their garments. Our users are in the cleanrooms anywhere from 0-60+ hours/week, i.e., there's tremendous variability.

Rather than change out all the garments on a weekly basis, we use our keycard entry system to track an individual's cleanroom time, and when they reach a (somewhat arbitrary) limit, an email is sent to them letting them know how long it has been since their last garment change. In the email they are asked to acknowledge that they will change out their garment set the next time they come in the cleanrooms, by hitting a button on a web page they are directed to. Clicking the "I agree to change my garments" button resets their timer.

It's not foolproof. People could ignore the email, for example, but they'll get another one every day until they respond (and we'll know if they don't, since the emails are also sent to certain MNTL staff). And there's really nothing for them to gain by not changing out their garments on a regular basis.

 -- John

John S. Hughes                         Office: (217) 333-4674
Associate Director                        FAX: (217) 244-6375
Laboratory Operations                     hughes at illinois.edu<mailto:hughes at illinois.edu>
Micro and Nanotechnology Laboratory
2000E Micro and Nanotechnology Laboratory
208 North Wright Street
Urbana, Illinois  61801              http://mntl.illinois.edu