[labnetwork] Titanium hazard

Leif Johansen lej at danchip.dtu.dk
Mon May 6 16:08:35 EDT 2013

Hello Rick,

At DTU Danchip we have an e-beam evaporation system in which we deposit Titanuim. We have had at least three incidents of wipes or other parts catching fire during maintenance work. I do believe that the root cause is that Titanuim oxidizes very fast, especially when a large, fresh surface is exposed to oxygen.

I have tried to translate our safety precautions from Danish into some sort of English:

"Before the work is started, DI water is filled in a bucket and placed next to the machine. Surface cleaning of various chamber parts must take place over the water bucket. All used cloths, with or without Ethanol/IPA are also to be deposited in the bucket, so they can absorb water.
Absorption of water in the cloths will prevent ignition. Some metals, like Titanum, when exposed to mechanical stress like hammering or scraping, form small particles which ignite as a result of fast oxidation"

Hope this could help.

Best regards,

Leif