[labnetwork] Titanium hazard

Joe Palmer jpalmer at Princeton.EDU
Tue May 7 09:47:56 EDT 2013

All,

When fine particles of a metal that can oxidize (Ti, Al, Cr, Fe, Ag,
etc) are suddenly exposed to air, they of course do oxidize, and because
their surface area to volume ratio is so great they can reach the
ignition temperature of acetone, methanol, or isopropanol, and in some
cases their own ignition temperature.  This is similar, but not
identical to the mechanism behind grainery explosions. While water is
generally anathema to vacuum systems, in this case wiping the material
down with water or a mixture of water and isopropanol, is not a bad idea.

Regards,

Joe Palmer
PRISM MNFL
Ops Manager