[labnetwork] C4F8 polymer deposition in RIE - issues related to that

Pramod C Karulkar pkarulkar9 at gmail.com
Tue May 21 13:40:17 EDT 2013

You may  have succeeded in nearly tuning the matching network but does
the system perform as it used to?  (process outcomes?)  You have to know
where the RF power is going.   You may have deposited a non-insulating,
carbon containing material all over your chamber including the electrode
assembly.  Leakage to ground may be causing your problems. An extended,
low power oxygen (plus inert gas optional) plasma cleaning (hour+)
while heating the chamber components helps if  the system is set up to
safely use oxygen.  In addition to cleaning the chamber, you may have to
take apart, clean, and rebuild the cathode assembly with new
insulators.   Instead of experimenting on the matching network with
active plasma chemistries,  it is easier to use a basic discharge (e.g.
pure argon)  to diagnose RF components and  to keep track of the
parameters for system qualification.

Verify that the power supply is functioning properly  using a vendor
suggested method or a dummy RF load.  Ditto for the matching network.
You have to consider very small probability that the process you ran had
nothing to do with the subsequent failure.

Plasma deposition is  a very complex process.  Inductively coupled
systems that have simpler internal surfaces are easier to use instead of
cathode based systems with intricate internal structure.

Please let the forum know about the solution to your problem once you
resolve it.
Good luck.

Pramod Karulkar

Pramod C Karulkar Ph.D.