[labnetwork] C4F8 polymer deposition in RIE - issues related to that

George P. Watson gwatson at Princeton.EDU
Tue May 21 09:55:56 EDT 2013

Hi Vamsi,

We had a similar problem with a very different plasma tool, a Tepla M4L.  We used a CF4 plasma that created a deposit throughout the chamber.   We were unable to get the reflected power back to zero until we used scotchbrite to clean all of the aluminum surfaces (including the banana jack tray connections) and then ran a long O2 plasma clean.

Pat

George Patrick Watson (Pat), Ph.D.
Director of Operations
PRISM Micro/Nano Fabrication Laboratory
E-Quad J301A
Princeton University
Princeton, NJ 08544
gwatson at princeton.edu<mailto:gwatson at princeton.edu>
(609) 258 4626
From: labnetwork-bounces at mtl.mit.edu [mailto:labnetwork-bounces at mtl.mit.edu] On Behalf Of N P VAMSI KRISHNA
Sent: Monday, May 20, 2013 9:09 AM
To: Labnetwork
Subject: [labnetwork] C4F8 polymer deposition in RIE - issues related to that

Dear Colleagues,
Recently we had a problem in our RIE (Oxford Plasma lab system 100) tool. The RF Lower electrode was giving very high reflected powers for some recipes and DC bias close to 0V and we realized the auto match capacitors are misaligned. After a long effort we could got that back to almost normal, by manually tuning the RF auto match and doing error corrections.
The last recipe which ran on the tool was depositing C4F8 for 10 min. Before this run chamber was clean. (We normally don't encourage polymer deposition in our RIE tool for longer durations)
Does any one face similar problem or any idea if C4F8 polymer deposition could do this and why?

--
Thanks & Regards,

Vamsi Krishna
Sr.Facility Technologist - Process Integration
National Nano Fabrication Center
Center for Nano Science and Engineering (CeNSE)
Indian Institute of Science(IISc)
Bangalore 560012, INDIA
Mobile:  +91 9880988239

A bird sitting on the branch of a tree is not afraid of the branch shaking or breaking, because it trusts not the branches but its OWN WINGS.