[labnetwork] Problems with ALD system

Hathaway, Malcolm hathaway at cns.fas.harvard.edu
Fri Apr 18 18:57:16 EDT 2014

Hi David,

This is Mac Hathaway, at Harvard CNS.  I'm not familiar with A155, but the oil should be of a sort that is inert and appropriate for O2 service.  This usually mean Fomblin, or some other perfluorinated oil of that type.  If you go with fomblin, you have to make sure the pump seals are of the appropriate type, as you mentioned.

To provide a place for our excess precursors to "wet out" and react before they reach our pump, we put a plain old mist filter on our Cambridge Nano/Ultratech Savannah unit.  I should think you could do something similar and have a positive effect on your backstreaming.  If the Opal has pressure monitoring, the pressure spikes associated with precursor pulses will be softened by the presence of the mist filter.

Have you done any XPS on your film to see if there is any carbon/pump oil in it?

"Dirty" wafers would presumably have nucleation issues, but if you really see copious oil in your chamber, that would seem to be the most likely cause of dirty wafers...

Does the Opal have a constant N2 purge?

Last thing (or perhaps first thing!):  Check with Oxford to see what they recommend.  If your unit is stock, they will almost certainly have seen this before, and have good suggestions...

Mac