[labnetwork] Bending coaxial

Weaver, John R jrweaver at purdue.edu
Wed Dec 17 09:00:47 EST 2014

Bending electropolished tubing can be acceptable as long as one is careful in the process, and keeps the bending radius to no less than 10x the tubing diameter. Electropolishing tubing leaves the internal surfaces of the tubing more brittle, and a hard bend of less than 10x the tubing diameter can cause microfractures in the surface. These microfractures can cause particles to break off the internal surfaces and become entrained in the gas stream.

John R. Weaver
Strategic Facilities Officer
Birck Nanotechnology Center
1205 West State Street